League of Legends 2020 World Championship Skins Have Been RevealedApril 4, 2021
- With the team’s dominant World Championships run, Riot Games via LCK Broadcast has revealed the Splash Art for Damwon Gaming’s World Championship skins.
- The champions are Kennen, Nidalee, Twisted Fate, Jhin, and Leona who represent the 5 players who formed DWG’s World Championship winning team: Jang “Nuguri” Ha-gwon, Kim “Canyon” Geon-bu, Heo “ShowMaker” Su, Jang “Ghost” Yong-jun, and Cho “BeryL” Geon-hee.
It has been months since the last World Championships, and some people may have forgotten which team was 2020’s Best League of Legends team, which is none other than Damwon Gaming (now known as DWG Kia, given Damwon’s current partnership with Kia Motors). In commemoration of the team’s dominant World Championships run, Riot Games via a recent LCK Broadcast has revealed the Splash Art for Damwon Gaming’s World Championship skins. The champions included are Kennen, Nidalee, Twisted Fate, Jhin, and Leona who represent the 5 players who formed DWG’s World Championship winning team: Jang “Nuguri” Ha-gwon, Kim “Canyon” Geon-bu, Heo “ShowMaker” Su, Jang “Ghost” Yong-jun, and Cho “BeryL” Geon-hee
The splash art, and the champions representing DWG posses light blue and white focus colors, which is a similar color scheme to that of Damwon Gaming’s 2020 uniforms. The 5 champions who are given the skins were picked by the players themselves.
League of Legends and DWG in Worlds 2020
Damwon Gaming was part of the 2020 League of Legends World Championships, which was held in Shanghai, China. Represening as LCK’s 1st Seed, they were placed in Group B alongside LPL’s JD Gaming, LEC’s Rogue, and the PCS’ PSG Talon. During the Group Stage, they went a 5-1 score, dropping only one game to JD Gaming and advancing to the Quarterfinals where they met their LCK Summer 2020 Grand Finals opponent DRX. DWG would quickly take down DRX in a dominant 3-0 display, then met Western League of Legends’ favorite G2 Esports.
G2 Esports had a history of taking down LCK favorites during Semi Finals, but DWG overcame them after a 3-1 series, with DWG themselves setting a record for the Fastest Game in Worlds’ History in closing out their series with G2. In the Grand Finals, DWG met the unexpected Worlds Finalist in Suning, which was LPL’s 3rd Seed, who eliminated both fellow regional representatives JD Gaming (No. 2 Seed) and Top Esports (No. 1 Seed) during the bracket stages, setting the stage for an all Asian Grand Finals between two of Asia’s arguably finest regions, LCK and LPL.
DWG would meet their biggest challenge in LPL’s Suning for giving them a difficult game 1 victory, then losing game 2 to Suning after. DWG would later have another hard fought win in game 3 before eventually dispatching Suning in Game 4 in very dominant fashion, winning the series and the League of Legends 2020 World Championships.
DWG-KIA and League of Legends in 2021
- Damwon Gaming rebranded to DWG-Kia as part of the organization’s partnership deal with Kia Motors. This also includes a change to their uniform’s colors from Blue and White to Black and White.
- Nuguri has left DWG to LPL, now currently as the top laner for FPX, a former World Champion team
- Khan, last seen as part of FPX, replaced Nuguri
- DWG-Kia stood in first place during the LCK Spring Regular Season, with a 16-2 set record and a 33-10 match record, giving them an automatic placement to Semi-finals in the LCK Spring 2021 Playoffs.
- DWG-Kia defeated Hanwha Life Esports (HLE) 3-0 in the Semifinals
- DWG-Kia awaits either Gen.G or T1 in the LCK Spring 2021 Grand Finals, which take place on April 5, 2021 5pm KST (Korea Standard Time)
- BTS referred to as “Chinese Backstreet Boys” angering the BTS Army - August 20, 2021
- GeorgeNotFound’s Hot Tub Stream Breaks Pokimane’s Twitch Record - June 3, 2021
- A man tried to assassinate two of miHoYo’s co-founders - April 27, 2021