Junji Ito Announces New Anime Adaptation of His Works Coming to Netflix Next YearJune 11, 2022
- Junji Ito announced on Netflix Geeked Weekend about his new anime series horror anthology named Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre.
- It will feature 20 of Junji Ito’s works handpicked by himself.
- It will be released on Netflix on 2023.
The series will feature 20 of Junji Ito’s most famous works handpicked by the mangaka himself. Works such as Tomie, Souichi and The Hanging Balloons are some of the 20 works that will be animated.
It is not yet known specifically which stories from Tomie and Souichi will be included in the anthology however, the author has said to “wait for further announcements”.
Ito further elaborated on his inspiration on some of his works such as Tomie was derived from a lizard’s tail that keeps growing back while The Hanging Balloons was inspired by a corpse hanging by the neck from a large floating balloon.
Junji Ito’s work has been adapted into anime before with Ito’s 2001 work Gyo being adapted as an animated film in 2012. And there’s also a previous anthology called Junji Ito Collection which was released back in 2018.
Uzumaki will also be adapted into anime and will be produced by Toonami and Production I.G. and released in October 2022 and will be aired on Adult Swim.
- ESGS reaches 10th year milestone of celebrating esports, games, and tech - November 1, 2023
- VCT Challengers 2024 Roadmap - October 23, 2023
- Empyrean Cup Ignites Fierce Competition in the Philippine League of Legends Community - August 31, 2023