Demon Slayer breaks records as it tops US Box OfficeMay 7, 2021 Off By GamePOW
- Demon Slayer: Mugen Train tops US Box office as it earned $19.5 million in both United States and Canada making it the biggest opening weekend for any foreign language film in North America.
- Demon Slayer also did well in Japan as it surpassed Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away as the highest grossing film in the country.
- This is the second time a foreign film has topped US Box office, the first time was when Pokémon: The First Movie came out.
The anime movie Demon Slayer set a box office record in North America despite being an R-rating.
It earned $19.5 million in both the United States and Canada in its opening weekend thus making it the biggest opening weekend for any foreign language film in North America.
That’s even more impressive considering the movie received an R-rating. It got an R-rating for “violence and bloody images”. In Japan however, the movie is PG-12.
The top spot was previously held by Hero which earned $17.8 million in its opening weekend back in 2004.
Demon Slayer surpassed Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away as the highest grossing feature film in Japan.
The movie has topped in the North American box office which only happened the second time. The first time was twenty years ago back when Pokémon: The First Movie came out.
- VALORANT // Head In The Clouds: Explore VALORANT Booth At The Manila Music Festival - November 29, 2022
- Riot Games Will Focus Heavily In Asia For Wild Rift Esports - November 23, 2022
- Ubisoft And Riot Games Announce The “Zero Harm In Comms” Research Project To Detect Harmful Content In Game Chats - November 18, 2022